Nowadays several antivirus programs deserve the attention and trust of users. Norton and Avast are two of the largest players in the antivirus software market. So, which one will you choose?
Why do we use antivirus?
According to American analytical companies, it became known that almost half of the inhabitants of our planet have a laptop or personal computer at home, but only a third of them are protected from various viruses. This is because many people simply cannot work comfortably if they have antivirus enabled. To prevent various intrusions into your PC, antivirus software is needed.
Avast Free Antivirus is a popular free antivirus specifically designed for widespread use on home computers. Users who install Avast Free Antivirus receive full real-time protection against viruses and spyware, as well as a number of other useful tools to keep their computers safe.
Avast is popular due to its free version and due to its lightness (it slows down the computer less). It is one of the most comprehensive free security solutions available on the market. It offers two browser plugins: Internet Security and SafePrice.The first warns you about dangerous websites and blocks phishing scams, and the second is an online price comparison and coupon code search tool.
Norton is an antivirus designed to make your PC and mobile devices as comfortable as possible in your daily life. The protection works in the background and prevents identity theft, blocks fraudulent websites, and informs about suspicious content in links. This comprehensive solution combines all of Symantec’s proven technologies for information security, phishing protection, automatic backups, and computer customization. This antivirus has been repeatedly recognized as the best in work on devices of private users.
Norton enables you to optimize your hard drive by finding and destroying malicious files already lurking on your computer, continuously scans the most important areas on your computer, including RAM, registry keys, and active processes. A distinctive feature of all Norton products is the presence of a single database that allows them to be as effective as possible in performing their main function – ensuring computer security.
Norton or Avast?
Avast vs Norton – which is better? To determine in this battle, we need to compare two options following certain criteria:
- Like most other antivirus programs, Avast and Norton also use signature match detection, which checks files against a huge database of known malware, and heuristic monitoring to detect all kinds of known and unknown malware. What’s more, Avast not only detects malware with high efficiency but also returns very few false positives.
- Avast security kits are more expensive to touch than Norton. Plus, you can protect multiple devices with a single Norton Security Deluxe and Norton Security Premium license.
- Norton’s clean and vibrant user interface hasn’t changed in recent years, with four tabs located in a horizontal menu – Security, Identity, Performance. Avast’s dark interface looks modern and sleek, but it can feel a little more complex and overwhelming when compared to Norton’s. On the left is a vertical menu with the following tabs: Status, Security, Privacy, and Performance tabs.
- Avast claims to have a user base of 400 million, but it also includes AVG users as they are both owned by the same company. On the other hand, Norton’s community is estimated to be just over 50 million, significantly less than Avast.
- It is imperative that the antivirus not only provides excellent protection against malware but also does not take up too many system resources. Neither Avast nor Norton will significantly slow down your computer.